Monday, October 8, 2012

The beginning

It has started. I am three (?) weeks into a 6 week orientation phase and I feel that it is so far so good. I am getting used to the unit and increasing my patient load one week at a time. Yesterday, I started my week of three patients per shift. This new number might take the whole week to get used to. I felt good about the situation and I felt like I did what I was supposed to do but I had a BUSY assignment. It was one of those shifts where it takes you over twenty minuets to get out of a room, and it has nothing to do with the tasks that need to be preformed. I did however have my first (current) taste of overtly aggressive people. I have had this happen before but this was the worst ever and I actually started walking out of the room when this would happen. It may not be the best way to handle things but it was better than yelling.

My preceptor is pretty nice. She is really laid back but we have a meeting at the start of shift, our breaks and at the end of the night. This gives us time to catch up and get on the same page. So far, she said that I am doing great but that it will be easier to judge what I need to work on/improve when my patient load gets higher. I can understand that. I know that I told her last night that I was feeling a little frazzled because of the assignment but I knew that I needed to be introduced to it sooner rather than later. I really appreciated that she did this on a weekend because it was not as busy. She does things that makes sense I can agree with that. 

Getting back on track at the gym has been rough. My schedule rotates days and nights so it is kind of rough to get my body back into the swing of things or into a swing that I can keep up. Since it rotates, I don't have certain days off every week and I do not get the same shifts every week. Making a schedule and sticking to it is a little hard. I am still only able to walk on a flat treadmill which is the worst workout ever. I need to find a way to spice it up. Some weight training would be good but every time I am done one the treadmill I just want to shower and leave, no matter how pathetic the workout was. The gym is just set up so weird. When I was running outside I would come in and to arms and abs no problem. When I finally get cleared to run outside again, I am going to have to invest in some cold gear just to get in a good run. I will still use the gym for weights but the cardio outdoors seems to suit me better.

I still wonder if I made the right job decision... I don't think I will ever know but I have to go through all the steps to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment