Saturday, October 20, 2012

Going From the Inbetween to the New Normal

It is the halfway point! I am three weeks into orientation and three weeks away from dealing with patients, families, doctors, and the regular shit storms that follow on my own. I think I can handle the patients and the families but the doctors have become probably the most "delicate" group to work with in the list. I think that they will be the most challenging to deal with because even if you have all the information, a pretty sizable portion of them have no problem ripping a nurse a new orifice because they have to call them to clarify an order that makes no sense or is dangerous for the patient. The floor is busy I think just about everyday I have had a person (if not more than one) make the day a complete bubble of insanity. I have been lucky because my preceptor is amazing and does not get mad and yell at me when I tell her I don't know this step or this is as far as I can take this because I do not know where to go from here. She uses it as a teaching moment and then we work through it together.

There have been perks to this new job. I finally have a paycheck in which my life can be comfortably lived. I am no longer working two jobs or one job to the bones of my fingers just to be able to go to the grocery store and put gas in my car. Now, don't get me wrong, my job is crazy busy and I don't think a nurse ever really just gets to stand around or even sit for more than a few seconds without something popping up. Everything is earned.

On a funnier note, I decided to get a new phone. I am way over due for one and I can afford it. I went to just shop around because there was one that I had my eye on. While I was looking through my options at the store, I some how managed to, while bringing my arm down to my side, drop/launch my phone on to the platform of the wall display. I managed to shatter my current phone into three pieces, plus the battery. The sales person then stated, "I think you maybe one of those people that require an otterbox so that your phone survives more than an hour...." I really did not take offense to that because it seemed to be true at that moment. It is a good thing that I decided to get a new phone because when he tried to transfer my contacts it wouldn't work. It seems that I managed to damage the data/charging port of my phone in the drop/launch.

The apartment is lovely!!! I still am spreading out way too much, lol! I am not sure how he puts up with it because I can safely say I have decorated the living room with all of the things I use on a regular basis this weekend. I have to make sure to clean it all up.

The wedding planning is going well. The printer and I have set a plan to have a final invitation printed and packaged for purchase by November 20th. If we have them this early it will be easier in the future. He has been slightly freaking out because he was thinking that the big stuff was going to be the issues but he is now more worried about the millions of little things that are involved in the planning. It is good that we are a head of schedule so we will get to the small nitty gritty things faster then we need to but they will be a lot of things that if they are left until the last second they will be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment