Sunday, September 23, 2012

Leaving the old and starting the new

Tomorrow is orientation for the hospital system I will be working for. I will be sitting through an orientation day from 730am to 5pm. That is a very very long day. I have done this once before and can safely say I may just fall asleep for part of it. After tomorrow, I will be at the hospital that I will be stationed at for the rest of time. I am still questioning whether the money was worth it but I guess we will see soon enough.

In the same step, I am only one week away from being out of retail. This means that I may not be living paycheck to paycheck anymore. My work hours will still be quite insane. They will be rotating shifts and I will have to work holidays but I am already used to never having weekends or holidays, ever in my lifetime.  I know that with this field of work that I will never have these days off until I am about, oh say 90 and dead, but I guess that it would be worth it. I am hoping that this will make affording life and a wedding much easier than it currently is. Leaving retail will be one of the best things ever! I have been there way too long and have dealt with too many stupid things that I can't believe even happen half the time.

It also looks as though I am getting out at just the right time. On my heels, Sam is leaving as well. She is waiting for her job acceptance letter and some specifics before she submits her 2 week notice but as of this morning she is still set on leaving. After she (and the rest of us) found out that the plans for the store were not going to pan out as they were told to us and our store manager who was leaving, things got really really bad. There was a really shady plan going on and they brought in an ASM from another store to see if she is ready to get a store of her own.  Not cool. Sam has not been happy and I don't blame her. This person that they brought in has no idea what she is doing. She has not hired any new associates, delegates tasks to people who do not get compensated for these tasks, offends customers and sales staff, and she is very poorly organized. There is much much more of her incompetence than can fit on a blog. On top of this, her private life is interrupting the functioning of the store on an everyday basis even when she is not there. These are not the traits of a good or competent leader. Half of her management team is leaving with just the two of us finding other jobs. She is going to shit her self and freak out when Sam gives her notice. This is going to leave her without resources and a team to do her work for her. She is going to have to do it herself, which will never happen. Her store manager at another store that she still reports to and the DM think that she is behind everything, even when she and I sign something. I am hoping that they wise up and see that this was a horrible move on their part. I know that the DM does not like our store in any way shape or form but the way she acts towards us is really just belittling and unprofessional. I feel as though these girls that I am working with are not getting the recognition they deserve for the jobs that they are doing and that needs to change. I am hoping that two members of the management team leaving and a third trying desperately to get out wave a HUGE red flag that something it wrong.

To be getting out at the right time is good. To be taking a step in the right direction is amazing. The new is scary but it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment