Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter.. I guess. It seems like every holiday something not so great has to happen. I was smart and avoided going to a family function after being at work for part of the day. It has been discovered that going to any sort of big family event (at least for me) after working is a very dangerous idea. This year, I played it safe and we made our own Easter meal. I must say marinated steaks, broccoli and cauliflower with cheese sauce, bruschetta and devil's food cupcakes was quite the feast!

Today's great discovery is, buying a house might not be so fun. We decided to do the search by school district. By this I mean that we are searching good public school districts because he is not a fan of the Pittsburgh Public School district, which I can understand. Boy was I wrong to think that ANY school district outside of the PPS lines would do. We asked for some opinions from his friends, via a Facebook post, and got back ehh results. Shaler, Fox Chapel, Gateway, Mt. Lebo were the ones that were suggested. Then Shaler was thrown out the window due to massive amounts of drugs... I didn't know that. One of his friend's is looking for schools to send her kids to soon and apparently she has become the go to for the 411 on the schools of Pittsburgh. With the suggestion on Chartiers Valley, we start our search and I can't say that we are any closer nor am I very happy with how this is going. I turned down the idea of looking out of county because even thought the taxes are cheaper, let's face it, no one really wants to drive an extra 45 min in rush hour traffic to get to work and back. There are not many hospitals out that way and if I do this tuition forgiveness thing then that is what my drive will be, road rage beginning at 430am about 4 days a week. Fox Chapel is expensive. Apparently, the only houses that we will find there would be on the outskirts of the district, so why do I keep looking there? Why do I keep looking at the same places even though they "won't work"? They are too expensive, the taxes are too high, they are far away from the hospitals... Today is the first time that I am hearing about half of this list. Trying to remedy this was probably the stupidest thing I could have tried because not only did my attempt fail miserably but I did not even understand the complaint (still don't.)

So, how do you find a good school district with: 1) low taxes, 2) safe neighborhoods, 3) close to the hospitals, 4) not expensive, and 5) not going to cost me my sanity? Well, if I knew the answer I do not think I would be typing this right now, would I?

I feel like there is no way for me to get an answer to these questions because looking at the information/ranking websites for the school really tells you jack shit unless you are a certified statistician with a Phd in numbers that regular people prefer not to have to look at. The information we got from the post, opinions, doesn't seem to help at all. It is bias to the people who told us but if half the things that were already suggested have been axed by one person, how in the hell is it supposed to be an option?

I caved about 20 minuets before typing this and started looking at houses in the Ligonier Valley school district because I just feel like there will be no avoiding looking out of county after today.

Two more weeks left in this term and I just want to be done. Two more weeks at one of my jobs as well and I can tell you after the rude people we had today, I can not wait to be done. It is Easter Sunday people!! Go eat a freaking ham with your family or sit at home because it is a HOLIDAY! I know that it has not been that long since holidays were spent with family eating dinner or at your home because either nothing was open or your family did not go anywhere besides to church or other family members' houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment